Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dael Dixon earns admiration in wrapping up career at LBCC

After 27 years of counseling and being a part of the LB community Dixon will retire as of June 30th of this year. Her retirement came earlier than expected for her as the budget cuts swept through campus, a co-worker was faced with being laid off and a future left in doubt.

Dixon being Dixon showed the compassion that she has for her co-workers and life in general. She voluntarily offered to retire early to save her co-worker’s job.Students walk into the counseling center for many different reasons here at LB. For the last 20 years here at the Albany Campus Dael Dixon’s office has opened the door for students to come in and enter her office of Zen. The inspirational posters and Zen garden on the desk gives the students a feeling of her “compassion” for them.

Mark Weiss has worked side by side with Dixon for the last 22 years. “She is the personification of all they tried to teach us in graduate school.”

Dixon is a world traveler with a true understanding of her counseling profession. Her sign in her office gives you a since of her prided philosophy, “let all that you do be done in love.”

Unlike Weiss who has worked for a long time with Dixon, Whitney Barstad started working in the counseling center just six months ago.

 “She was the first person to make me feel like I was at home.” “Her caring persona really shows in her work.”

Q&A
What made you want to become a counselor?
-At 19 I was working in Washington D.C. during the Vietnam War, I knew something was missing in my life. I wanted to do something more meaning full for people. I went to apply for a position in a rehabilitation center, the man interviewing me advised me to finish school and pursue my goals.

What is your favorite part about your job here as a counselor at LB?
-Working one on one with the students and finding the best of them. Also, helping people realize what their gifts are. My heart is moved by every person that comes in with their unique issues. I love being there for people. Too many people are not doing what they were born to do and I just want to help them.

Do you have a certain philosophy behind what you do?
-Let all that you do be done in love (as noted on the sign in her office). Let each unique soul into your life and support them in whatever they need.

What are your plans after retirement?
-Just be, do some meditating in pretty settings like in Encinitas, do some swimming and kayaking. Travel to Guatemala next February and Arizona from there to spend time with family. After takings some time off, I would like to volunteer somewhere, maybe for Habitat for Humanity.

What will you miss most about your time here at LB?
-My co-workers, they are like family to me. I felt blessed working with the different health programs here on campus there dedication was moving. I will also miss all the young people here and their stimulating challenges that I was able to help them with.

At A Glance:
Earned her BS in Public Administration and Rehabilitation Counseling from the University of Arizona in 1972. Earned Master's in Counseling from University of Oregon in 1982.

Started at Benton Center part time in 1984 after interning there at U of O. Moved to full time at Albany Campus in 1991 where she has worked ever since.

Dixon is an avid traveller and has been to Poland (where her mother is from), Greece, Egypt, Hungry, Check Republic, and most of the European Nations.

Born in New York she moved to Arizona when she was 11 and settled in Oregon after college.

To schedule an appointment with Dixon go to the Career Services and Counseling Center in Takena Hall to do so.





No comments:

Post a Comment